How Biosolids Are Managed:
Each year, over 10 million dry tonnes of biosolids are generated in Canada and the United States alone. Historically, about 75% (or 3/4) of this material has been disposed of via:
- Land application
All three of these primary biosolids management approaches have stresses. A combination of technical, regulatory, and financial considerations are rapidly changing the industry landscape.
According to the Water Environment Federation (WEF), land application of Class B biosolids is under pressure due to concerns with odors and pathogens (in particular).
Landfill disposal is increasingly cost prohibitive and, due to shrinking capacity and other concerns, this is not considered a long-term, sustainable practice.
Incineration is capital cost intensive, it is not viewed as a way to further waste diversion goals, and there are real concerns with GHG (Green House Gas) emissions with this approach.
Meanwhile, the responsible management of biosolids and organics remains a top priority for Generators, Elected Officials and the Public. Plus, the world is facing a depletion of natural resources, such as mined phosphates, and the need for renewable, nutrient-rich, organically-based fertilizer continues to grow.
These concerns are real but they can be resolved. In order to do so, we must advance. Advance to more sustainable, cyclical solutions. Solutions that reduce volumes and extract much needed, high-yielding nutrients. Solutions that are safe, proven, cost effective, and responsible.
Lystek’s patented, award-winning and proven biosolids management solutions are already advanced; and they are ready to implement today!
Lystek Biosolids Management Solutions:
- Are rooted in scientific research and proven methodologies
- Have low capital, operating and energy costs
- Reduce storage, transportation, and disposal costs for plant operators
- Have a small foot print (600 – 2,000 sq ft) – easily integrated with little to no interference to existing plant operations
- Can be customized to suit the unique needs of any treatment plant
- Can reduce overall residual volumes and enhance methane gas production
- Produce a nutrient-rich, federally registered/recognized, biofertilizer product with quality controlled NPK values and no set-back constraints
- Produce a valuable, low odor fertilizer product with a range of beneficial uses
- Provide an organically-based product – at a fraction of the cost of traditional chemical fertilizers
- Offer a stable, homogeneous product that is readily available, easy to store and utilize
- Are safe, innovative and environmentally sustainable
Advance to Lystek to reduce organic waste and recover nutrient-rich resources in less time and for less capital investment than you might think!