Each year, over 10 million dry tonnes of biosolids are generated in Canada and the United States alone. Historically, about 75% (or 3/4) of this material has been disposed of via:
All three of these primary management approaches are in a state of stress.A combination of technical, regulatory, and financial considerations are rapidly changing the industry landscape.
Land application of partially treated biosolids is under pressure due to perceived environmental and health concerns.
Landfill disposal is increasingly cost prohibitive and, due to shrinking capacity and other concerns, is not considered a sustainable practice.
Incineration is capital cost intensive, it does not necessarily further waste diversion goals, and there are concerns with GHG (Green House Gas) emissions with this approach.
Meanwhile, the responsible management of biosolids and organics remains a top priority for Generators, Elected Officials and the Public. Plus, the world is facing a depletion of natural resources and the need for renewable, nutrient-rich, organically-based fertilizer continues to grow.
These concerns are real but they can be resolved. In order to do so, we must advance. Advance to more sustainable, cyclical solutions. Solutions that reduce volumes and extract much needed, high-yielding nutrients. Solutions that are safe, proven, cost effective, and responsible.
Lystek’s patented, award-winning, biosolids management solutions are already advanced; and ready to implement today!
- Are rooted in scientific research and proven methodologies
- Have low capital, operating and energy costs
- Reduce storage, transportation, and disposal costs for plant operators
- Have a small foot print (600 – 2,000 sq ft) – easily integrated with little to no interference to existing plant operations
- Can be customized to suit the unique needs of any treatment plant
- Can reduce overall residual volumes and enhance methane gas production
- Produce a nutrient-rich, federally registered/recognized, biofertilizer product with quality controlled NPK values and no set-back constraints
- Produce a valuable, low odor fertilizer product with a range of beneficial uses
- Provide an organically-based product – at a fraction of the cost of traditional chemical fertilizers
- Offer a stable, homogeneous product that is readily available, easy to store and utilize
- Are safe, innovative and environmentally sustainable
Advance to Lystek to reduce organic waste and recover nutrient-rich resources in less time and for less capital investment than you might think!